The Justice for Life researchers documented the deaths of several people, including civilians, and the injury of others in armed attacks in the Autonomous Administration controlled areas of Deir Ezzor. The researchers also documented several indiscriminate shootings during social events.
Backed by the International Coalition Against Terrorism forces, the SDF continued to carry out several arrest campaigns during May, targeting various areas of Deir Ezzor. ISIS has had more operations over the past month. ISIS claimed responsibility for many armed attacks in the province.
JFL researchers monitored the difficult living conditions, including the lack of basic materials, high prices, and poor financial resources with a lack of job opportunities.
Raids and Armed Attacks in Various Areas
- On May 2nd, 2022, ISIS shooters attacked an SDF checkpoint in Darnach town in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor, injuring two personnel. ISIS claimed responsibility for the operation on several websites close to ISIS. Also, ISIS claimed another attack on a checkpoint in Al-Shuhayl town on May 13th. An SDF member was also killed in Thiban town in an armed attack on May 3rd. JFL researchers did not document any claim of responsibility.
- Unknown assailants targeted an SDF military headquarters in Al-Zar town in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. JFL researchers did not record casualties among the checkpoint personnel. The military headquarters is located at the water station in the town.
- An SDF special force, backed by the international coalition forces, carried out a raid operation in Thiban town on May 5th, targeting a civilian site. The JFL researcher reported that forces involved in the operation had arrested a person accused of collaboration with ISIS. A few days later, on May 10th, 2022, a joint force launched a raid operation in Al-Shuhayl town in Deir Ezzor’s eastern countryside, targeting people likely linked to ISIS.
- Villages in Al-Basira town witnessed an armed clash between a group of local residents and the SDF. According to a JFL researcher, on May 14th, there was a violent armed clash following a dispute over water distribution in many villages. The residents accused some parties close to local military leaders of supplying water to specific lands at the expense of other lands. The researcher reported that the clashes calmed down after the intervention of many community influencers in the town.
Indiscriminate Shootings and Armed Robberies Leading to Injuries
- A woman and her son were injured in Thiban town in the eastern countryside on May 2nd, 2022. Furthermore, the woman and the child were injured during indiscriminate shooting by some social partiers in the town.
- A JFL researcher in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor documented the killing of a 14-year-old boy in Al-Bahra town on May 3rd after tampering with his father’s weapon. The researcher said that the child was directly shot and injured, leading to his death.
- While no compliance with local calls to stop using weapons during local social events, the most recent call came from several dignitaries on March 22nd, 2022. JFL documented that three people were injured by gunfire during a local event in Huwayj Diyab town in Deir Ezzor’s eastern countryside.
- JFL recorded the presence of armed groups committing kidnapping, theft, and extortion. On May 7th, a young man was injured in Gharanij town in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor after an armed group intercepted his way in the Badia countryside near the town. The JFL researcher did not have any further information about the incident.
Official Procedures and Decisions
- The Deir Ezzor Civil Council fixed the sugar price, which has witnessed a dramatic increase in previous months. Furthermore, the council’s economy committee decided to fix the sugar price at 3,000 Syrian pounds per kilo in another attempt to control the prices of basic goods. The Autonomous Administration fixed the price of purchasing wheat from farmers at 2,200 Syrian pounds per kilo and the barley at 1,600 Syrian pounds.
- On May 8th, the Interior Committee in Deir Ezzor issued a circular number 6, affirming the continued prohibition of using motorcycles and wearing veils. The circular prohibited armed manifestations under legal accountability. Deir Ezzor’s Civil Council appointed a female Co-Chair for the Council in Deir Ezzor’s Western Region under resolution 33 on May 12th, 2022.
- The Health Committee of the Deir Ezzor Civil Council opened the hospital of Hajin in the eastern countryside on May 26th. It was reported that popular demands have recently risen, particularly during Covid, demanding the increase of support to medical facilities in Deir Ezzor.
A picture of the Interior Committee’s Circular
 Deir Ezzor : Lifting the Curfew Mines and Local Disputes Leaving Casualties